May 16, 2008

Letter

February, 18, 1778

Dear Mother,

It has been really hard staying here in Valley Forge. The food here has no comparison to the food that you cook. All we have been eating is fire cakes and drinking cold water for the last three months. I think the thing i miss the most is sleeping in my own bed. I have to share a little 16x14 foot long hut with 10-12 men. and the only thing to keep us warm is this stone fire place. i really wish i brought my own blankets. Theses ones are so thin!

how is the weather like in Georgia? It has been mostly in the 20's and 30's over here. I don't think i have ever been this cold or wet in my life. There is allot of soldiers that are getting really ill. To the point where some of them died from their sickness. Many are not well enough to fight any longer.

How have you been? Anything exciting happened since i have been gone? How is dad doing? I know right before I left he was really sick. I hope he is doing better now. It was very hard for me not being able to be with the family for the holidays. we didn't celbrate it at all. No feast or anything.


It is very depressing here at Valley Forge. When I first signed for the army I was really proud and ready to fight for our colonies. Though I am still proud to be part of this army, it is very tiresome. It seems that we haven't won a single battle since the start of this war. Most nights we sleep in our drafty, dirty huts. Anyhow, for a while there seemed to be no one who cared about our needs as simple as clothing and food. Gen. Mifflin who is in charge of these tasks seems to not care at all about his duties. It is sad to see my brothers begin to lose hope in our cause and become weak. This simply because of a lack of a man not wanting to do his job.
I have been putting a lot of thought into whether I should re-enlist or whether I just want to come home to my family. Though I am tired and weary I am going to keep fighting to ensure that you and dad is kept safe. Sadly, I must go for there are many duties that I need to fulfill for today. Just know that I am thinking of you day and night. I love you. I will write as soon as i can


Love,